Fortress House is one of the oldest and largest remaining colonial houses in Gibraltar. Ordnance survey maps from as early as 1900 illustrate the premises as âOfficerâs Quartersâ, with the area presently occupied by the garages labelled as stables. Duke of Kent House served as the residence of HRH Prince Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent â 4th son of George III and father of Queen Victoria â during his time as Governor of Gibraltar in 1802, and after whom it has now been named. Known subsequently as âArtillery Houseâ and âFortress Headquartersâ locally, the building served as the headquarters and mess hall of the 5th Fusiliers until the structure burned down in 1833. Five years later the building was again rebuilt, with the new headquarters being put at the disposal of Prince George of
Cambridge who had just recently arrived in Gibraltar. The building continued to serve as the military headquarters of the G.O.C. Infantry right up until the 1930s. Verbal indication from the present owners is that Fortress House served as the Princeâs residence during his time in Gibraltar, which given its immediate proximity to the Fortress Headquarters would seem plausible. For further information or to request a viewing please contact Savills.